Knitting book "Mittens of Latvia" a book by M.Grasmane
Beautiful, value and practical edition for knitters, Over 400 pages, 178 knitting patterns.
• 178 mittens patterns and images
• Instructions and advice for knitters
• Matching knitting needles with the yarn used
• Determining the size of the mitten and the number of stiches
• Knitting the mitten cuff
• Knitting of braids and fir needles in the cuff
• Creating fingers
• Trapeze-Shaped cuff knit
• Cuff worked in a square knit
• Cuff knit on a bias
• Ribbon-like cuff
• Braid pattern in the cuff
• Knitting the upper mitten
• Decreasing the mitten
• Knitting the thumb of the mitten
• Knitting of doubled mittens
• Symetrical mitten knitting
• Pattern elements
• Glossary of knitting symbols
The book presents 178 samples of mittens, reproduced from the 18th Century originals in Latvian museum collections, their knitting secrets and wearing traditions. Although there have been publications before concerning Latvian ethnographic mittens, the book "MITTENS OF LATVIA" provides the most complete and exact information.
Moreover it is a visually magnificent book which tells us the story about Latvian traditional culture through bright and inspiring photos.
The book is a perfectly designed trustworthy historical encyclopaedia. At the same time it is also a practical treatise encouraging knitters to carry on ancient traditions with original and exciting patterns. The left hand page presents the pattern, the right hand one shows a knitted mitten for better visual perception of the pattern. Every sample of a mitten carries with it the precise historical information about the location where it comes from, the museum where the original can be found and its inventory number. Every pattern presented by the book is unique, but they still all have roots in the cradle of Indo-European culture and it is easy to see resemblances with ethnographic sign systems in many other traditional cultures.
In new edition page 356 is changed, it's possible to send copy from first edition via email.
knitting book - Mittens of Latvia (English)
- Artikelnr. B-ML-ENG
- Verfügbarkeit 1
- 36,99 €